Upcoming Missions Opportunities
Believe it or not, the Holiday season is upon us.
This year we plan to provide Kroger cards to Norman Binkley families who need a ‘helping hand’ at Thanksgiving. No special offering will be collected for this outreach. We will cover that expense with designated ‘Neighborhood’ benevolence funds.
We will be taking up three special offerings for our yearly support of Heifer International, the Joy Offering, and the families who need a helping hand at Norman Binkley. We have been very supportive of all three in the past. The mission committee just wanted you to have a ‘heads up’ so you can plan your Giving for this Christmas season.
Souper Bowl of Caring - January and through February 9th (Scout Sunday)
On Sunday February 2nd, 140 million Americans will tune into the Super Bowl football game. There will be food and fun for many people watching the game. At the same time, there will be people struggling to feed themselves and their families for the day.
The Souper Bowl of Caring is a national movement started by youth. Youth believed they could use the energy around our nation’s biggest sporting event to inspire Americans to make a difference. For the past several years, we have partnered with our Scout Troop (Troop 249) for this event. The scouts collect canned goods from the community. The church will collect food and monetary donations during January and through February 9th (Scout Sunday). The scouts will bring their donations on February 9th.
Last year we collected $467 and 171 food items that we donated to Second Harvest Food Bank. Since 2004 we have collected $3,853 and 3,564 food items for Second Harvest on Souper Bowl Sunday. Let’s keep growing our numbers.
Southminster, with the help of our scouts, will once again join groups across America to do our part! Please bring non-perishable food items or money to donate to Second Harvest Food Bank on or before February 9th.
Souper Bowl of Caring Bible Verse for this week:
You have been a refuge for the poor,
a refuge for the needy in his distress,
a shelter from the storm
and a shade from the heat. Isaiah 25:4
* Make checks out to Southminster and put ‘Second Harvest’ on the ‘for’ line. Cash donations will be collected on February 9th. If you want to make a cash donation before February 9th, put it in an envelope, and write Second Harvest on the envelope.
Heifer International - Give a Life-Changing Gift This Holiday Season
Heifer International's mission is to work with communities to end
hunger and poverty and care for the Earth
Heifer - a young female cow that has not yet born a calf. A new life. A fresh start.
Heifer International offers a fresh start to people who were born into poverty or thrust into poverty: For example, a family returning to their burned out village after war. Heifer doesn’t just give this family food, it gives them a way to produce food. They might give a family chickens and teach them how to raise chickens. Initially, it provides the family with eggs. Eventually, it provides them a product to sell.
For Christmas this year give a really meaningful gift to a friend or loved one. Purchase a chicken, rabbit, llama, heifer, etc. Heifer gives the animal and the training needed to take this gift and turn it into continuing income. Check the item you want to donate and write a check to “Southminster,” For “Heifer.”
- Contributions may be made to Heifer International from December 1 – 22.
Joy Offering -
• For more than 70 years, Presbyterians have given generously at Christmas to support the unmet needs of families who have devoted their lives to the mission of the PC(USA). The Joy Offering is shared equally by the Assistance Program of the Board of Pensions, which provides critical assistance to Presbyterian church workers and their families, and Presbyterian-affiliated racial ethnic schools and colleges, which enable students to develop their gifts and find their calling
- The Joy Offering will be received on December 22.
Norman Binkley -
• Your donations to Norman Binkley will be used to purchase $25 WalMart Gift Cards. Dr. Nabil Murad, Guidance Counselor at Norman Binkley, will give the Gift Cards to families he has identified who are in need.
- Contributions can be made to our Norman Binkley ‘helping hands’ fund from November 10 – December 8.
If you are interested and able, please put your contributions to Southminster
Presbyterian Church. On the Memo line, write
Norman Binkley Helping Hands